Blog Archive

Sunday, July 23, 2017

2017-2018 School Year-classroom reveal and first 2 days

Good morning friends!  The past week has been a whirlwind!  I put final touches on my classroom and welcomed a new group of 3rd graders.  I always love the anticipation of a new school year and am still surprised at how exhausted I am after 2 days of school.  I am so glad that our district gives us a couple of days to ease in to the new year.  It is nice to have 2 days to get to know my students a little bit and to teach them routines and procedures.  Then we can hit the ground running on Monday.  I will still weave in those routines and procedures this week, but the major ones have been discussed.
First 2 Days Reflections

  1. We are departmentalized so I teach 2 sets of kiddos.  One class has roughly the same number of boys and girls.  The other has 15 boys (18 total kids).  I am definitely feeling for those 3 girls in that 2nd class.  The boys in my first group are WIDE OPEN!  I say all of that to say that I will have to make sure I bring in lots of brain breaks, group work, and hands-on activities for both of my groups.  I will also need to make sure there isn't any down time so they stay busy, but with meaningful activities.  
  2. Because of the HOT, HOT, HOT temperatures here in NC, we have had 2 days of indoor recess.  In the past when my class sizes have been a bit smaller, I have let students self-choose what they do.  This year, I am creating stations in my room and allowing a specific number of students to choose that station.  They must remain at that station for the entire recess.  2 days in and I can say that indoor recess hasn't turned me into a squawking mess constantly telling students what they can and can't do. 
  3. My plan for this week is to leave school by 3:30, unless I have a meeting.  School is over at 2:00!  There is no reason for me to stay later than 3:30.  I'll let you know how this one goes.  :)
Classroom Reveal
7 Habits Posters from Teachers Pay Teachers 
We are a Leader in Me school.  If you don't know anything about it check it out here.

My small group area and objectives.  Also...I love my big mustache.  I got it at JoAnn's several years ago!

On the far left cabinet I have the 8 mathematical standards.  Under that I plan on adding choices for math rotations and magnets with kids' numbers for them to choose.  The other cabinet has my clip chart, rules, and tiger stripes chart.

How stinking cute is that shiplap paper?  The shelves house my leveled library and math manipulatives.  

This is year 2 for The Leader in Me.  This is the year for data, data, data!  We will track our data and set and track class goals on this board.  It is a magnetic chalkboard!  

Anchor chart display 

Outside of door

Inside of door

I had this old frame that I painted.  I am thinking about a quote of the week, month...something.  I may let students submit quote they would like to see here.

First day class gift.  Tags from Live Laugh Love Second

Well, that's it for today!  TTFN!


2 comments: