Blog Archive

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Made to Crave...Chapter 1

I recently began an online bible study for the book Made to Crave by Lysa Terkeurst, so naturally I’m already behind.  Big surprise there!  Anyway, I just finished chapter 1 tonight.  We were asked to give our top 3 moments from MTC and how they will help me on my journey. 
Here goes:
1.     Craving: something you long for, want greatly, desire eagerly, and beg for.  I can honestly say that I have been craving a deeper relationship with food more than a deeper relationship with…anything really, much less God.  You know what they say about the first step is recognizing that you have a problem…well, I have a problem.  I love to eat!  Good food, bad food…it doesn't really matter…just food.  I eat when I’m bored, when I’m sad, when I’m happy, when I’m stressed, whenever!  The thing is…God made me to crave Him and Him ONLY!!! 
2.    Satan works to replace my craving for God with cravings for anything else.  He uses 3 strategies…the cravings of my sinful nature (my physical desires), the lust of my eyes (my material desires), and the boasting of what I do or have done (my need for significance).  I need to be saturated in God’s truths so I can break the cycle of being consumed by my cravings.
3.    “Everything is permissible-but not everything is beneficial” 1 Corinthians 10:23.  This verse is going to be used to remind me that while I am “allowed” to eat chips and cookies and drink soda, those things are far from beneficial.  If my goal is to get healthy, then I need to focus only on eating things that are beneficial. 

So those are my takeaways from chapter 1.  Anyone else out there reading or has read this book?  I’d love to hear your thoughts.  Please continue to join me on this journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment